Thursday 22 November 2012

First results from Geno 2.0

A few people have started to receive their first results for the new Geno 2.0 test from the Genographic Project. CeCe Moore has posted some screenshots on her blog showing results for the autosomal DNA component of the test. Dave Dowell has blogged about his mtDNA results and has published an example of a "heat map" for haplogroup H. We are still waiting to see the first Y-DNA results.

I have not ordered the Geno 2.0 test for myself as I have already taken the full mitochondrial sequence test with Family Tree DNA.  The ethnicity percentages from the autosomal part of the test will not yield any meaningful information and should only confirm that I am "British", which I already know from my family history research! As a female I do not have a Y-chromosome and I would, therefore, not be able to receive any Y-DNA results. However, if you are interested in your deep ancestry and wish to know your mtDNA and Y-DNA haplogroups then the Geno 2.0 test is a good choice. The Y-DNA and mtDNA results can also be transferred to Family Tree DNA where you can join the relevant haplogroup projects and order additional testing for genealogical purposes. The Geno 2.0 test will provide very detailed Y-DNA haplogroup assignments and has essentially replaced the old deep clade test offered by Family Tree DNA.

I contributed my mtDNA results from Family Tree DNA to the first phase of the Genographic Project. I am still able to log into my Genographic account to access my results. The website has been updated and I am now getting the same screenshot as the Geno 2.0 participants. However, I note that I have been downgraded to a simple haplogroup U rather than a U4, and I am no longer able to access any information on haplogroup U4. It may be that the new haplogroup pages have not yet gone live and my haplogroup will be adjusted when this has been done.



© 2012 Debbie Kennett


No comments: